Sunday, November 2, 2008

Lime Kiln, Lexington, VA, July 1998

From the RT list. Thanks, Dan.


Dave Deegan (Hi, neighbor!) wrote really nicely about Lime Kiln. Now I can
barge in and add some stuff.

[DD] The Theater at Lime Kiln is amongst the nicest venues anyone could ever see
a concert.

I took a lot of pictures; if any of them come out, I'll try and put them up
on a page or something. I can't stress enough how beautiful and unusual
the setting is.

[DD] Dressed in the almost-too stylish combination of black on black
on black, with a tartan-plaid guitar strap for contrast, Richard seemed
relaxed, confidant, in command of his singing and playing, and happy to be
on stage.

I saw his shoes. Yes, Reeboks, with Union Jacks.

[DD] "Irish Dance Tune" (identified as ?? - I already inadvertantly deleted it!

Banish Misfortune. I think. Now wait, maybe it was Choice Wife...anyone
remember?

[DD] Pam was too modest to point out to
the list that when he intro'd "Genesis Hall" he talked about the folk-rock
band he played with in the sixties (and that most of the audience looked as
if they were around in the sixties, too), and their great singer Sandy
Denny who used to sing this song. And then, as he launched into the tune,
said "This is for Pam" with a wink!

I didn't see a wink! I saw his head sorta dart around, and I waved like a
damn fool from the back row. I will NEVER get over that moment. I confess
that I've been waiting for someone else to mention the dedication so I
didn't have to! :^)

A few more observations:

He played the beginning of "Dueling Banjos" and quipped "That's from around
here, isn't it?" I don't know if that remark went over so well!

People around me were laughing through much of the first verse of "God
Loves a Drunk."

In "Pharaoh" he changed a word in each chorus: "Tell me, brother" became
"Tell me, sister" and then "Tell me, brothers." This was very effective.

In "The Ghost of You Walks" he returned to his original order of lines:
the "took the biggest bite" part preceded the "took it all at a rush" part.
He's reversed them for a long time now.

His guitar arrangements showed more variation than usual. I can't remember
any examples, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't have the language to
describe them.

At the end of the show proper, he told us that he was going to
"demythologize show business" by going up the hill and "becoming a tree."
Sure enough, as the ovation swelled, he tossed the green towel over his
head and assumed a branchy stance. I'll pay for a photo if anyone's got a
good one!

[DD] So anyway. It was a great show in a gorgeous place. It's fun to daydream
about all of our cyber-friends being able to assemble there for a show some
other year.

If the list ever decides to assemble en masse for a concert, this would be
a good place to do it.

Sigh....

Pam (who didn't request anything from RT!)

No comments: