Friday, October 31, 2008

May 2003 tour

RT-list post, titled "Missie, How I Let You Down." I'll try to find the corresponding Washington Post review.



So I've just gotten back from several days on the Thommo Trail. I may or may not write more about this later. If I do, it's sure to be subjective blather that you're free to delete. The meat of the shows has already been described by others quite well.

So I'm here, to throw my sorry self abjectly at your virtual feet.

Before leaving for Durham yesterday--was it just yesterday?--I wrote my review of the 9:30 show for the Washington Post. (I've been a stringer for the Post for a few months now, and it's the highest-profile gig I've ever had. I love it; they send me to all sorts of shows, the pay is good, and people I haven't heard from in years are calling to say they read my reviews.)

It was a difficult review to write. I could, and would, write a totally different one for y'all, here. Not formal, and definitely informed by the minute levels of aficionado-ism among us that Jon Cole described so well in his 9:30 review. And I was worried about gushing--I'm saying now, not for the first time, that that Post review is my last-ever review of RT, 'cause of my "detachment" problems. (I tend to get tempted back though.)

But I did what I thought was an OK job, and then I went to Durham. So I'm sitting in the third row center of the Carolina Theater last night, and RT begins the beautiful "Missie." And suddenly, I remember: In my review, I've used "Missie" as one of several examples of "acoustic" songs.

I squirmed through the rest of the song (still distracted somewhat by its beauty) and then literally bolted up the aisle to the lobby, cell phone in hand. I had to call a writer colleague to give me a Post editor's number; mine was in the car. I tried a couple numbers he gave me, but I got voice mail. It was something like 9:30.

Missing "Al Bowlly," I returned to the theater and managed some more of the how--after all, it was brilliant, no matter how upset I was--and was seriously diverted only once when I remembered that I'd also said that "Missie" was "solo." (I think that was what sent me out a second time to make some more calls--so I missed "Vincent.")

What had I been thinking? It's not like I didn't remember the 9:30 performance. Something just slipped, somehow; I was thinking of quieter, more contemplative songs and contrasting them against "Pearly Jim," etc.

Anyway, I called everyone at the Post except for Woodward and Bernstein, but it was too late--the incorrect info got in. And I'm just sick about it.

So I hope y'all will forgive me.

Pam

No comments: