Friday, October 31, 2008

New Orleans Jazz Fest, 2001

RT list, natch.



Criminy! Where is everyone who saw RT on Friday? Still out partyin'? (We're exhausted.)

He did a pretty short set--50 minutes, tops. Someone kept notes on the tunes (where are you?). He was mobbed by autograph seekers at the Virgin tent afterwards. (Sorry re typos...teeny portable keyboard.) Said he had to turn like a quarter of them away. I got to interview him, about which more later. (And I ate three of his strawberries and felt terribly guilty later.)

His set (electric) with Beausoleil--he was on for about half B's set--was wonderful. Very well received. The Times Picayune thinks he should play with B. more often. His pic was on the cover of Sat's T-P--color, above the fold.

Rob and I have to go out now and retrieve Grant's house keys from the transvestite Chinese restaurant where we had dinner last night. I shall leave NO tomorrow morning having missed several things I wanted to experience: a spaghetti and meatball po' boy and Louis Prima's grave among them. It's been a great trip, though.

Later:

Pam, in New Orleans

- - -

Amir wrote:

<>

Yeah, I love to sneak stuff like that in....

There's a restaurant in New York City that I've always wanted to go to. It's called Lucky Cheng's. The stunning waitstaff comprises lovely ladies who are not what they seem. So when we were in New Orleans, I was delighted to find a Lucky Cheng's in the French Quarter. We were seated by the window, and Rob was very amused by the people who passed and pointed--I guess the place is rather notorious. I was amused, too, until he suggested, "I wonder whether those people think you're a transvestite."

I got my amusement back when a somewhat long in the, er, tooth Britney Spears clone did a dance for us that included giving Rob a bit of a nuzzle. She also did a cartwheel that was pretty impressive--I could never do a cartwheel, and certainly not in a minidress.

Oh, the food was good, too. But the drinks were pretty deadly. I still don't know how I misplaced my hosts' keys, nor do I recall, precisely, how I ended up in Cafe du Monde with a big mug of black coffee and a pile of beignets to fight Rob over.

I have got to go back through the last week or more of mail...I don't recall seeing posts about RT's shows in Boston, Baltimore, or New Orleans and very little about the Harry Smith tribute (about which I desire to learn much, much more).

Pam (awfully tempted by the Iron Horse)

No comments: