Friday, October 31, 2008

Whitaker Center, Harrisburg, PA, July 29, 2003

RT-list post, titled "Penultimate Kit Bag"


The Whitaker Center in Harrisburg, PA, witnessed an excellent RT show tonight--or, rather, last night, at this hour (as well as possibly the highest proportion of listmembers at any RT gig).

The last two shows I've experienced--this one and Lupo's--were especially notable, to me, anyway, for "Can't Win," a particularly anger-fueled performance. For me--I really can't speak for anyone else here--it was a sort of prayerful catharsis; I really felt like something unearthly was happening when he played it. And I thought about how RT's music, in its way (and not a small way), has the power to make people free. Brothers and sisters (I know I'm going all Dave Carter on y'all, if only because I just saw fellow Carter fan Robin newly arrived on the list), if you've ever felt something freeing in Richard's music, give thanks in whatever way seems best. (I know he freed some people of nasty green pieces of paper at the merch booth.)

The reggae stuff was incredible, sprouting out of "Crawl Back" like volunteer plants. Pete Zorn just gets better and better. It's unjust to expect people NOT to sing along for "Wall of Death"--like expecting silence during the national anthem. And I sat behind someone, who shall remain nameless, whose obvious, kinetic enjoyment of the show could have been a manifestation of my own id, albeit with a better haircut.

I also wondered, for the first time, who is being petitioned to let him ride on the wall of death one more time. Tonight, I felt very strongly that I was making that request of Richard--wanting, no matter what happens inside or outside of me, to feel welcome to come back again and again to experience these shows.

For me, it was also a night of blood, toil, tears, sweat, broken glass, and sour cream donuts. I communed with listpals, felt irrationally and embarrassingly attracted to the tour bus, nearly became part of a Beltway accident, suffered existential doubts, shared secrets--yeah, just a normal night for me.

You know, I'd write more, but I think I'm actually typing in my sleep.

Y'all get on MapQuest or www.iflyswa.com or Orbitz and figure out the best way to get to Pittsburgh tonight, you hear? You can't miss this tour on its last show.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

Pam

No comments: